Edouard-Marcel SANDOZ

(1881-1971)

Silurid or catfish

Edouard-Marcel SANDOZ

(1881-1971)

Silurid or catfish

CAPTION

Height : 54.5 cm - 1' 9¹/₂" in.

PROVENANCE

Private collection, around 1950.

LITERATURE

F. Marcilhac, Sandoz: Sculpteur figuriste et animalier, catalogue raisonné de l'œuvre sculpté, Paris, 1993, pp. 488-489, n° 1417 (plaster model), inventoried  under the name  “Silurid” or “Catfish”. 
 

DESCRIPTION

Bronze with brown patina, signed « Ed.M. Sandoz » Cast by E. ROBECCHI, bears the founder's stamp « E. ROBECCHI LOST WAX »
Circa 1922

Edouard-Marcel Sandoz was born in Basel (Switzerland) on the 21st of March 1881. His work as a sculptor of men and animals numbers around 2000 pieces among which 200 porcelain sculptures. A self-taught artist, he expressed himself in bronze as in ceramics, in direct carving as well as in the painting of flowers and landscapes.
Trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts de Paris as from 1905, he attended the classes of the sculptor Antonin Mercié and of the painter Ferdinand Cormon.

Inspired by Art Nouveau and its flexible and harmonious forms, he began, from 1920 onwards, to concentrate on animal study seeking more and more its stylisation.

Sandoz took an interest in various sorts of fish, such as sea dogs, crucian carps, carps, bass, seahorses,... from which he brings out and resumes the characteristic forms. This model, referred to as 'Catfish' by the artist is represented in an upright position, its mouth open, resting on its spread out tail, with a particularly ingenious posture of its fins and tail. However the fish's anatomy (shape of its mouth, goatee, scales, dorsal fin, tail divided in two) makes us think rather of that of a carp. A fine modeler, Sandoz works on the volumes without breaking or dissociating them. This is thus a unique copy.   

The preponderance of animal representation in his work led him to create the Société Française des Animaliers in 1933. Highly committed to his fellow artists, he presided, for twenty years, the Fondation Taylor. Sandoz, who regularly took part in the arts-events of his time, displayed his artworks at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, in 1947, in the pavillon of the Société des Artistes Décorateurs. After becoming a member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts de l'Institut de France, and Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters, he was awarded an hononary doctorate by the Lausanne University in 1959.